Sunday, March 13, 2011

Friday night @ the Coliseum

I missed the Kid Rock concert earlier this year much to my dismay. Jimmy, one of my brothers, is a huge Sugarland fan and was gifted with second row seats by his son. Gene has teased Jimmy for some time about Jimmy's Sugarland addiction so I was surprised when Gene volunteered to accompany me to Friday's concert.

I have some difficulty listening to Sugarland as I think Jennifer Nettle's twang has become overwhelming in most songs plus the fact that much of their songbook is so commercial. I did hear on the radio that Casey James and Little Big Town would be opening for Sugarland so I became interested in attending, but hesitant to buy @ StubHub prices. Kristy, of all people, came through for me when she won a pair of tickets in a radio contest. Kristy would have used the tickets, but won the radio station's grand prize the next week: a trip to see the tour's Nashville stop. So off to the rafters we went (free tickets = nose bleed territory.)

Casey James is a handsome young man from last year's American Idol. Whoa, he can really sing and play guitar.

Little Big Town became one of my favorites when I first saw them perform as an opening act for Martina McBride, then as the headliners @ the Beaufort Water Festival. Their harmonies remind me of Fleetwood Mac. Alas, so many of my favorite pop acts from the '70s would only be found on country stations in today's market.

Sugarland - they are incredibly entertaining in person.Years of touring has led to very polished performances. Gene was even a fan by the concert's end.

I have been to many concerts over the years and have often thought about how an artist, especially when the artist is also the song writer, must feel when audiences know and sing along to every word. James Taylor seems to have addressed it when he wrote "That's Why I'm Here." There was one of those moments on Friday night when about 10,000 people stopped getting up and down for more beer, talking to their neighbors, etc. to sing every word of "Stay" with the artist. The chill bumps were right up there with being in the same hall and singing "Carolina in My Mind) with JT and about 11,000 fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment