Sunday, February 13, 2011

Movies

I haven't posted about movies in some time as I have only seen a few movies in the last few months. I believe all four of the movies I have seen are nominated for Academy Awards.

The Social Network had very good reviews so on a free evening in the fall, Gene and I went to the movies. I was pleasantly surprised as the movie lived up to the reviews. I knew little about Mark Zuckerburg before the movie, but wow, talk about making money from a good idea and changing the world at the same time!

Gene and I had a little free time on Christmas afternoon and went to see The Fighter. Again, a very good choice - Christian Bale was almost unrecognizable.

We were able to see True Grit last weekend. I'll confess that I never saw the original except for bits and pieces on TV over the years. I also usually enjoy Coen Brothers movies although I do not like to watch Fargo. True Grit had so many good moments, but I must be one of the few people who did not like it that much. Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn was so similar to Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart. I also had to watch most of the last of the movie with my hands over my eyes. Let's put it this way - the snake scene is one of my nightmares and the senseless slaughter of horses is always a scene and movie killer for me.

Now, on to the best movie I have had the privilege to see in a long time: The King's Speech. This was far and away the best movie of the year. Colin Firth deserves Actor of the Year. Wait a minute, is that the same Colin Firth from the Ann Hathaway Princess movies I had to endure a few years ago? One and the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment